<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 10, 2003

"You're goin' down, Lich bitch!", I screamed through the crypt. He would stand no chance against my massive elder air elemental, boosted by my mystical cleric magics and by the force of my god of summoning and magic!

The elemental tore through the chaff that was skeletons and mummies, then...got stuck. Poor AI and pathing had intervened! I vainly tried to use my own bulk to push the elemental towards the now laughing Lich, but it was only much worse! Now I myself couldn't get close enough to the lich to strike it before it finished casting.

And so I did fear, for I knew what was coming: DISPEL MAGIC. The most brutal, overpowered and overused spell in the entire game. Yes, this spell, possesed by 100% of the monsters encountered by adventurers over the level of 8, is the bane of any class using magic or items to give themselves immunities from ALREADY cheesey abilities such as instant death effects (but not all instant-fucking-death effects, although you wont find that written anywhere) and mind affecting spells!

I stood no chance! As the first dispel magic hit me, I could feel my armour spells and elemental damage immunities rip away...my death magic immunity, my mind spell resistances, my health fortifications, my saving throw boosts! GONE! Only two protections remained on my person - Haste which was a function of my boots and therefore not affected, and my SPELL RESISTANCE effect!

Ofcourse! My spell resistance spell that should, in theory, save me from a spell designed to dispell my other spells. But I guess a spell so obvious as that would not have the designed effect. Ha.

There I stood, a naked cleric. My class relies on the boosts that my spells provide and the creatures I can summon. But wait! I still have my elemental- nevermind. That just got dispelled too.

So I ran away. Ofcourse, the Lich bitch wasn't done with me yet. A second later, a Stun spell hit me - which ofcourse, stunned, dazed, and paralyzed me all in the same effect. And then, the Finger of Death.

The battle lasted 4 rounds. Thats 24 seconds game-time, about the same real-time.

Hurray!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?